Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Behind the Screen: Got You.

Note: Moving Pictures is featuring the filmmakers from the CSWE 2013 Virtual Film Festival sharing the stories behind the making of their films. Here's how you can see the films, participate in online conversations with the filmmakers, and vote for the Virtual Ovation Award. The award consists of a $500 prize and will be presented to the top-ranked film in the Virtual Film Festival, as determined by the audience.

Filmmaker Bianca Morris discusses below the background to Got Youher film about a mother contemplating suicide. Join Morris for a Twitter chat on her film on Thursday, August 29 at 8 pm EST; hashtag #SWUnited.

Filmmaker Bianca Morris
When I was growing up, my mother was my everything. She is a beautiful woman, a caring mother, and an extremely hard worker. My father was never around, and I have no brothers or sisters, so it was just my mother and me. 

I noticed my mother was often sad, so often that it was certainly depression. As a child, I didn’t know what to do about it. I would try to make her proud by doing well in school and trying to not pester her at home, but her sadness never seemed to go away. She struggled to keep up with the bills, attend college courses at night, and work as a teacher’s assistant during the day. She would constantly let me know that I was not the cause of her sadness, but all that meant to me was that I couldn’t do anything to help her, even though I so desperately wanted to.

Along with the need to cure her came a wave of anxiety that stayed with me even to this day. I constantly worried about what would happen if my mother got so sad that she would decide to run away and never return, or even worse, kill herself. I often make films about my life, usually for the relief of getting it out of my system, and Got You was no different. Making this film was somewhat of a personal therapy for me. My hope is that it will touch audiences and lift stigma about depression, anxiety, and suicide.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment